Whether you’re looking for something to do on your birthday or simply looking for something to do after work, Los Angeles always has several activities and events to attend! Take a look at 33 events happening this week, some of which are FREE!
1. Moonlight Movies on the Beach brings a summer-long series of free outdoor movie screenings on the shores of the LBC to three different locations near Downtown Long Beach and Belmont Shore. The series continues with The Goonies at Granada Beach. Screenings happen on select Tuesdays and Thursdays through August 20. FREE
2. California African American Museum (CAAM) and Art + Practice (A+P) present the Points of Access series a talk and workshop focused on artists and their need to build a sustained practice. The public program welcomes artists of all stages and genres. Karen Atkinson, founder and creator of the artist-run company and art project, Getting Your Sh*t Together for Artists will be holding a discussion. FREE
3. The Good Nite bar in North Hollywood is celebrating PRIDE month with Drag Karaoke featuring Karaoke Kweens performing at 10:30 p.m. and 12:30 a.m. plus drink specials all night long.
4. Esters Wine Shop & Bar Guest Chef Burger Night Series kicks off on Tuesday with Valerie Confections’ Valerie Gordon whipping up her version of a double-double animal-style burger paired with a signature cocktail from the bar. Additionally, she’ll have slices of her legendary Blum’s Coffee Crunch Cake available for dessert.
5. Mr. C’s Poolside Cinema is back for the sixth year in a row. From June 11 through August 27 Angelenos can indulge in a luxury outdoor movie experience by the pool with a Cipriani menu, classic movie snacks and Peroni Nastro Azzurro. Mary Poppins Returns will be screened this week.
6. Descanso Gardens hosts Summer Songs welcoming The Flashdance DJs into their Rose Garden. They’ll be spinning an all-vinyl set during sunset hours and beer will be offered at concession stands.
7. Taste of Downtown Long Beach happening June 26-27 will allow the public to experience taste sized bites from local restaurants and enjoy live music and family friendly activities. Admission is free and tasting tickets cost $1 each.
8. Ace Hotel welcomes Summer Hop with Roger Mars at Upstairs, Ace’s rooftop lounge. Mars will be playing tunes from his large crate of rock n’ roll vinyls from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. There is no cover.
9. The Sorting Room nightclub housed within the Wallis Center’s Lovelace Studio Center presents a new season of unpredictable performances from poets, composers, jazz singers, cabaret veterans and more in a variety of genres alongside happy hour drink specials. Happening Wednesday through Saturday.
10. The Game Changers Outdoor Movie Screening Series comes to The Ford Theatres in Hollywood June 27 – 30 for four-nights of groundbreaking cinema and television underneath the stars. Presented by the SAG-AFTRA Foundation, the goal of the series is to showcase media that has impacted diversity and narrative storytelling in monumental ways. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
11. Shakespeare By The Sea will once again offer a ten-week program of admission-free performances with two featured productions: The Comedy of Errors and Henry V at a variety of venues across Los Angeles Thursday through Saturday. FREE
12. The L.A. Zoo will host a Sustainable Wine+Dinner Series highlighting sustainability — from agriculture to food and wine production to wildlife conservation. There will be close animal encounters, and a featured winery, along with a four-course farm-to-table dinner.
13. Little Tokyo Nights, a new night market debuts this Thursday featuring Taiko performances, live music, cooking demos, artists, vendors and lots of food from pop up restaurants as well as food trucks. This event will repeat every Thursday from 4-10 p.m.
14. Thirsty Classics An evening of Classic Cocktails + Classic Films happening at Alcove in Los Feliz takes place in their private garden patio where guests will be treated to a screening of Casablanca, three cocktails from 1940’s plus popcorn.
15. LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes presents Pláticas y Pruebas: Craft Cocktails, The Art of Elevated Drinking, an evening discussion and cocktail tasting focused solely on mezcal.
16. South Central Skankers, Roncovacoco & The Meddlers perform as part of the Levitt Pavilion Los Angeles concert series. Concerts continue on Friday when Lido Pimienta with Delsonido & Subsuelo take the stage. FREE
17. Head down to Scum and Villainy Cantina in Hollywood for Cosmic Karaoke night. There is no cover for this event.
18. Who What Wear brings back Street Style Cinema, their series of free outdoor movie screenings, to The Grove every Thursday evening in June. This week they’ll screen The Devil Wears Prada. FREE
19. Night Market is back on the hilltop of the iconic Yamashiro restaurant every Thursday all summer long. Angelenos can enjoy boutique vendors, food vendors, a concert series, cocktails at Yamashiro’s Pagoda Bar and an unbeatable view of Hollywood. This event is also kid friendley. Please note this year the organizers are charging $10 to park at the shuttle location. Shuttles are free and so is admission.
20. Free museum days: MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.), USC Pacific Asian Museum (5 to 8 p.m.), Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.) and Museum of Latin American Art (5 to 9 p.m.)
22. KCRW’s Summer Nights brings free, all-ages shows to some of the most iconic venues and cultural centers in Los Angeles all summer long. They continue this Friday at CAAM with KCRW DJs Garth Trinidad + Aaron Byrd. FREE
22. The Los Angeles Zoo’s annual after-hours music series, Roaring Nights, is back for summer 2019. Come experience a party atmosphere featuring DJs, bands, a Silent Disco combined with animal talks and feedings plus a number of food trucks. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
24. The Music Center’s Dance DTLA features live music and/or DJs paired with expert dance instructors providing beginner group dance lessons for attendees. Each night has a different dance theme. The series continues with a Bachata theme on the Grand Park Performance Lawn. Dance DTLA continues on select Fridays through August 30. FREE
25. Summer Nights in the Garden returns to the Natural History Museum this weekend. Sip garden-inspired cocktails, listen to live music, take garden tours and more. Tickets are free to this series and can be obtained online. FREE
26. Friday Night Block Party at L.A. LIVE presented by Absolut features 20+ pop-up shops, live art and street performers and select $5 food and drink menus at participating L.A. LIVE restaurants. FREE
28. Shakespeare on the Bluff brings Shakespeare’s greatest plays to Loyola Marymount University and Playa Vista Concert Park for free shows in June. As You Like It will be performed on Friday and Saturday at LMU and Sundays show will take place at Playa Vista Concert Park. FREE
29. Louis Vuitton’s latest art exhibition titled “Louis Vuitton X” will have the fashion house digging into their archives to reveal the brand’s most notable collaborations throughout the years. From Karl Lagerfeld, Rei Kawakubo, Yayoi Kusama to Richard Prince, fans of Louis Vuitton will have a chance to view over 180 items including creations dating back to the early twentieth-century. “Louis Vuitton X” will be on view from June 28 to September 15. FREE
30. Grand Central Market hosts Friday Night Flights this Friday starting at noon. The special includes a flight of drinks or bites from GCM vendors and a round trip ticket on the historic Angels Flight Railway right across the street for $15.
31. Spend the season sipping wine during sunset hour at Barnsdall Art Park’s Friday Night Wine Party Series. Happening on the lawn of architectural gem the Hollyhock House, the evening features a fine selection of wines curated by Silverlake Wine, a live DJ and tours of the house. The series happens every Friday evening till September 6.
32. On the last Friday of each month the California Market Center hosts a public sample sale with hundreds of showrooms offering men, women and children fashion as well as gift and home items at below-retail prices.
33. STRFKR ＋ De Lux perform at FIGFest at FIGat7th in Downtown L.A. FREE